- Cerebral Palsy is said to be a group of disorders that affects a person’s ability to move and maintain normal posture.
- It is said to be the most common motor disability in childhood.
Types of Cerebral Palsy
The classification depends on the Movement involved and the areas affected by the brain. They are categorized into 6 types
Spastic dIplegia Cerebral Palsy :
Here damage occurs to the corticospinal tract or to the motor cortex. This condition is called hypertonia. About 80 percent of the population gets affected by spasticity. Muscle stiffness is said to be more in the legs and arms. People feel difficulty in walking because tight hip and leg muscles cause legs to pull together.
Spastic hemiplegia :
Only one side of the body is affected More common site is the arm.
Spastic Quadriplegia :
This is the most severe form which affects all four parts including the trunk and face. People usually have intellectual disabilities, seizures, or problems with vision and hearing.
Dyskinetic Cerebral Palsy :
Extrapyramidal motor system or pyramidal tract and basal ganglia are affected.
People usually have problems controlling arm, feet, hands, and legs making it difficult to sit and walk. Movements are usually uncontrollable can be slow or jerky and fast.
Ataxia Cerebral Palsy :
Here damage occurs to the cerebellum leading to hypotonia and tremors.
People usually have problems with balance and coordination. They might be unsteady when they walk. Writing might be difficult for them.
Mixed Cerebral Palsy :
Symptoms can include more than one type in this category where all four limbs have jerky movement. the patient may have uncontrollable movement or may have slow movement.
Classification of Cerebral Palsy :
Cerebral Palsy is classified according to the gross motor function classification system.
There are 5 levels as follows
- Level 1 -Able to walk without limitation.
- Level 2 -Can walk long distances without limitation but cannot run or jump. They require arm braces or a wheelchair for support.
- Level 3-Can sit with little support and stand without support. They require a walker or cane while walking indoors.
- Level 4-They are able to move independently in a wheelchair and only require support while sitting.
- Level 5-They require support to maintain their head and neck position. They even need support to sit and stand and they can handle the motorized vehicles.
- Infection of the brain such as meningitis, encephalitis.
- Head injury due to accidents, motor vehicle crash.
- Periventricular leukomalacia
- Infection to mother during pregnancy such as chickenpox, rubella, cytomegalovirus, toxoplasmosis.
- Severe hypoglycemia
- Excessive alcohol or smoking in pregnancy
- Premature birth
- Low birth weight
- Asphyxia Neonatrum
- Severe jaundice in the infant
- Gene mutation
- Intracranial hemorrhage
- Head injury
- Rh incompatibility
- Maternal exposure to toxic substances such as methyl mercury during pregnancy.
SYMPTOMS DEPEND ACCORDING TO AGE AS FOLLOWS
- The child feels floppy, his head becomes stiff, extends back when holder in arms and he crosses legs like scissors.
- A child cannot roll over in either direction, cannot cross hands, unable to lift hands till mouth.
- The child does not crawl on all 4 legs instead he hops on his knees.
- Symptoms appear during infancy or preschool
- Delay in reaching developmental milestones
- Uncontrollable movements
- Jerky movement of hands
- Weak arms and legs
- Unable to eat food or write or play
- Unusual posture
- Muscle weakness
- Stiff muscles
- Scissor like the movement of legs when walking
- Twitching of face and tongue
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Lack of muscle tone
- Involuntary muscles in hands, arms, legs.
- Respiratory difficulties
- Neurological deficits such as seizures, intellectual disabilities, and blindness.
- Homeopathy Is one of the most popular holistic systems of medicine
- Its selection of remedy is based on individualization
- The main motto of homeopathic. medicine is not only to treat only the disease but also to identify the root cause and individual susceptibility.
- Physicians prescribe remedy based on symptom similarity.
Arsenic Album :
This is one of the best remedy for treating symptoms based on individualization. Debility, restlessness, and exhaustion are well-marked features. Mentally patient is very anguished with fear of death .fear of being left alone .lacks courage. constantly keep moving hands, tremors. Great thirst drinks much but sips of water .craves acid and coffee twitching, spasms, weakness, and heaviness in limbs present. Paralysis of the lower limb with atrophy.
Calcarea Phosphoricum :
This is also one of the best remedy for cerebral Palsy. Mentally there is forgetfulness after grief and vexation. Peevish always want to go somewhere. Rheumatic pain with stiffness and dullness of the head.Soreness in sacroiliac symphysis.Stiffness with cold feeling and numbness in extremities. Uncontrollable movements of the limbs with a cold feeling.
Loquacity, aversion to work, Indifference, fearlessness, delirium are all characteristics feature of this remedy. Icy coldness like icy needles neuralgia. Numbness of legs on the crossing. Paralysis of lower limbs with spasticity in arms followed by palpitations. Tearing painful contractions in calves.
Mania , melancholic ,insomnia ,sopor. irritable when awakening.Great weakness in limbs.The sensation of fatigue and faintness in all limbs. Trembling and twitching all over limbs. Aching in the hip joint pain in the right knee without swelling. uncontrollable movements jerky movement of the body. palpitations with whooping cough.
Bartya Carbonicum :
Loss of memory and mental weakness. irresolute.Lost confidence. Bashfulness, Aversion to strangers. Numbness of limbs soles becomes painful when walking. Burning pain in lower limbs. Fetid foot sweat.
Homeo Care Clinic
Dr.Vaseem Choudhary along with his team has treated many patients successfully with Cerebral Palsy so if you are seeking your cure please visit Homeo Care Clinic, Pune for further assistance.