- Malnutrition Awareness Week is said to be a campaign organised by ASPEN to detect cases of undernourished people and resolve treatment.
- It was first launched in the year 2012 by ASPEN
- It is a mark of the American Society for parenteral and enteral nutrition.
- The main aim of Malnutrition Awareness Week is to educate health care professionals about early detection and treatment of malnutrition and to impart knowledge about nutritional status.
ASPEN CRITERIA FOR MALNUTRITION
- Insufficient energy intake
- Weight loss
- Loss of muscle mass
- Loss of subcutaneous fat
- The generalized or localized fluid accumulation that masks weight loss
CAUSES FOR MALNUTRITION
- Inappropriate dietary choices
- Low income
- Difficulty in Obtaining food
- Psychological deprivation
- Unhygienic environment
- Various physical or mental diseases
- Lack of appetite
- Tiredness or irritability
- Lack of concentration
- Loss of muscle mass, body tissue
- Delayed wound healing
- Dentition problems
- Regular attack of falling sick
- Lack of body growth
- Low body weight
- Slow behavioral and intellectual development
- Anorexia Nervosa
DIAGNOSIS OF MALNUTRITION
- Monitoring of body weight and health check-up
- Blood tests for general screening
- Tests for specific nutrients such as iron and vitamins
- Pre albumin tests
Homeopathic Management has shown effective results in treating malnutrition cases at all ages. Following are few remedies which are proved to be beneficial in malnutrition.
Marasmus, impaired nutrition, defective digestion and assimilation, marked emaciation of lower limbs, generalized weakness, ravenous appetite . Alternate constipation with diarrhoea, chilly patient are all characteristics features for this remedy
Calcarea Phosphoricum :
Emaciation, open fontanelle, large head sallow complexion, persistent vomiting and diarrhoea , enlarged tonsils, engorged glands, scrofulous tendency slimy and undigested stools with offensive flatus, low body weight, dentition problems, delayed wound healing call for this remedy.
Natrum Muraticum :
This is one of the best remedy for treating marasmus from defective nourishment. Thin neck, ravenous appetite, the child is always thirsty and craves for water all the time .skin is scruffy with oozing eruptions. Craving for salt and salty food. Dry mouth and dryness are well marked with dry skin.
Magnesia Carbonica :
This is also one of the great remedy for treating malnourished children. Marasmus, undigested vomiting, griping and colicky pains present. improper nourishment at childhood age .ulcers tendency in the mouth.Bloated abdomen, jaundice, offensive sweat.
Baryta Carbonicum :
This is also one of the best remedy for treating malnutrition .child is undernourished with a lack of appetite delayed growth with mental retardation slow at learning things, tends to forget everything, forgetful nature, fear to perform any task.
Homeo care clinic
Dr.Vaseem Choudhary along with his team has treated many patients successfully for malnourishment so if you are seeking your cure please visit Homeo Care Clinic, Pune for further assistance.