Chronic constipation is termed as infrequent bowel movements or difficulties in passing stools for several weeks. According to studies chronic constipation is set when there are three or less than three bowel movements a week.
- Primary causes- Intrinsic factors pertaining to colon or anorectal function
- Secondary causes- Mostly related to organic disease, systemic disease, or medications. Obstructions such as cancer, stricture, hypothyroidism, hypercalcemia, and Multiple Sclerosis.
- Other specified causes- Medications that cause constipation antihypertensive agents such as Clonidine, calcium antagonists, ganglionic blockers
- Antidepressive agents such as tricyclic antidepressants. Oral iron supplements.
- Aluminum drugs such as sucralfate, and antacids.
- Analgesics such as opiates and cannabinoids.
- Anti-nauseated agents such as Ondansetron
- Psychiatric agents such as Clozapine, and Olanzapine.
- Dry hard stools
- Painful defecation
- A feeling of not fully emptying of bowels.
- Passage of only gas from the rectum.
- Uneasiness, restlessness
- Bloated sensation
Diet And Regimen
- Drink 2 to 3 liters of water per day to maintain hydration.
- Avoid caffeine-containing drinks
- Avoid alcohol
- Add fruits, Vegetables, whole grains, and cereals pulses in your meals.
- Eat more papaya, bananas, and oranges.
- Avoid maida products
- Avoid white bread
- Eat more wheat products
- Eat prunes, bran cereals
- Can have milk, cheese, butter
- Avoid eating boiled eggs.
- Dp regular physical activity like walking.
- Quit smoking
- Avoid eating fast food like pastries, cookies
- Eat more dal, rice, chapatti, sprouts beans, and legumes.
- Who is more likely to get constipation? – Old age people, pregnant women
- Which are a common disease that leads to constipation? – Intestinal obstruction, fistula, Intussusception, diverticular disease.
- What is the most likely test done for constipation? – A lab test to rule out certain diseases, imaging. Colonoscopy, colorectal transit studies.
- Which are the most serious signs of constipation? – Blood in stools, constipation for more than 3 weeks, severe pain, lethargy.
- Where does the pain occur in constipation?- Patient experience cramping and deep pain usually in the gut region. The recommended position of sleep when constipated Put a firm pillow between your knees and sleep on your abdomen.
Homeopathic Medicines for Constipation
- Nux Vomica- One of the best medicine for treating constipation. Mostly indicated in patients who have a sedentary lifestyle. Also effective in people who suffer from piles of constipation.
- Bryonia- Indicated in people who complain of dry hard stools which are unable to come out, Stool appears to be hard in lump form. Also indicated in patients who suffer from headaches due to constipation.
- Lycopodium clavatum- Indicated in patients who complain of flatulence and bloated abdomen. Helpful medicine in irritable bowel syndrome.
- Silicea- Stool recedes back partially expelled this is the most common complaint noticed in these patients.
- Antimonium Crudum- Mostly indicated where Constipation causes soreness in the rectum. anal itching and mucous piles present. diarrhea and constipation usually alternate.
Homeo Care Clinic
Dr. Vaseem Choudhary along with his teammates has treated many patients successfully for Constipation so if you are seeking your cure please visit our center for further assistance.