Cheilitis is termed inflammation of the lips. It may be acute or chronic. It involves the whole vermillion and also sometimes involves the surrounding skin of both lips. It can occur at any age.
- Contact with cosmetics
- Sun exposure
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Winter climate
- Tendency to dry
Types of Cheilitis
- Allergic Cheilitis- Mostly occurs due to cosmetic fragrance. Castor oil, sesame oil, rented olive oil, azodyes, and propolis are all the ingredients responsible for this type of cheilitis.
- Atopic Cheilitis- Mostly associated with Atopic dermatitis. The patient always is prone to dryness, erythema, scaling, and fissuring of lips.
- Angular Cheilitis- It is an acute or chronic type of inflammation adjacent to the labial mucosa at the angles of the mouth. Mostly occur due to candida albicans and staphylococcus aureus. Smooth, shiny red lips are observed.
- Infective Cheilitis- Mostly occurs due to Herpes Simplex virus
- type 1 . Dysphagia, perivascular erosive Lesions, fever, cervical lymphadenopathy.
- Mycotic Cheilitis- Cheilitis caused by Candida manifest with erythema, painful edema of lips and fissures Parasitic Cheilitis
Leishmaniasis is a possible cause of cheilitis in Endemic regions. It gives an appearance of erythematous papules or plaque formation.
- Actinic Cheilitis- The proliferation of epidermal keratinocytes due to prolonged exposure to the sun. Lesions appear to be sandpapery in touch.
Symptoms of Cheilitis
- Dry scaly lips
- Erythematous lesions
- Crust formation on lips
- Pain while eating or drinking
- Cracks or fissures at an angle of the mouth
- Apply Vaseline
- Avoid prolonged exposure to the sun
- Avoid using expired or low-brand cosmetics
- Concentrate on diet
- Take enough supplements
- Maintain regular hygiene
- Hydrate your body with excessive drinking of water.
- Avoid stress
- Condurango- One of the best medicine for treating angular stomatitis. Painful cracks at the corners of mouth are present. cracks can be deep-seated. The corners of the mouth are usually ulcerated.
- Graphites- Corners of the mouth appear to be dry, rough, and parched .corners also appear to be
cracked and fissured. Eruptions and crusting of ulcers are present. Dryness cracked lips with a burning sensation present.
- Petroleum- Skin appears to be rough thick and hardened. The condition aggravates more in cold damp weather. Appearance of crust
formation with redness, itching, and burning present at the angle of the mouth.
- Merc Sol- Ulcers are present at the angle of the mouth which are sore and painful. Lips are dry cracked ulcerated and painful to touch. Excessive salivation with bad odor in the mouth with oral thrush present.
- Silicea- Crust appears to be hard and brown in color at the corner of lips. Ulcers are sore and painful to touch with continuous itching. The patient also complains of pus formation from the angle of the mouth in the ulcers.
Homeo Care Clinic
Dr. Vaseem Choudhary along with his teammates has treated many patients successfully of Cheilitis so if you are seeking your cure please visit our center for further assistance.