Ataxia is defined as multiple disorders which jointly affect your balance, coordination, and speech. Duchenne was the first person to introduce ataxia for the disease of tabes dorsalis. Friedrich ataxia gene was first discovered in the year 1996. According to scientists ataxia mainly occurs due to damage to the cerebellum.
- Excessive Alcohol intake
- Genetic disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
- Vitamin E deficiency
- Viral infections
- Abscess of the cerebellum
- Illicit drugs
Types of Ataxia
- Vestibular Ataxia Inner ears get affected which causes problems in hearing.
- Sensory Ataxia Self-positioned is hampered.
- Cerebellar Ataxia The cerebellum is hampered which controls various body parts.
Flag Signs Of Ataxia
- Impaired balance
- Slurred speech
- Slow eye movements
- Difficulty in writing
- Improper eating habits
- Wide gait
Homeopathic Medicine For Ataxia
- Alumina- Alumina is one of the best remedies indicated for ataxia. Patients often complain of weakness and numbness in their limbs. Sometimes patients also say that weakness causes the inability to move limbs. Limbs become stiff leading to staggering gait.
- Causticum- This is also one of the finest remedies indicated for ataxia. The patient often complains of frequent episodes of falls .fall could be either forward or sideways. Slurred speech is also noticed in these types of patients.
- Phosphorus- One of the best remedies indicated for ataxia. Mostly prescribed for lean thin patients who constantly suffer from dim vision, and double vision. Fatigue of eye muscles is also noticed.
- Gelsemium- Mostly indicated in patients who often face dullness, drowsiness, and dizziness. Weakness of muscles is so much marked that patient feels sluggish in doing slight work. Some patients also complain
of trembling of speech and sluggish movements of the tongue.
- Nux Vomica- Mostly indicated in the first stage of ataxia. The patient is so much affected that he drags his feet while walking. The patient also feels cramps in the calves and soles. whereas on the other side, some face problems of paralysis of the legs.