Carpal tunnel syndrome has been the most common prevailing disease in this modern era and the fast pace of technology. About 50 percent of youth is engaged in a sedentary lifestyle where sitting jobs have become a part of life for continuous 8 hours sitting at a stretch. However vigorous movement of fingers and improper long stretch posture of arms may lead to pain and stiffness of joints of arms.
Hence if you notice any pain numbness or tingling sensation felt in your fingers look up for the diagnosis to avoid further damage. Here are a few basic steps to know about the disease focus on preventive tips and implement them in your daily routine.
Carpal tunnel syndrome is characterized by 3 stages as follows
Patient experience pain and tingling especially at night and feels better by shaking the hands .stiffness is well marked in the morning
Consistent symptoms present with pain that is so well marked that it may disturb sleep.
Atrophy of muscles is present where the muscles surrounding the median nerve shrink and may cause numbness and restriction of hand movement.
Causes Of Carpal Tunnel
- Wrist fracture
- Typing related works
- High-yield Diabetes causes damage to the median nerve.
- Inflammation may affect the lining of the tendons and put pressure on the median nerve
- Arimidex drug that is used for breast cancer may also cause carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Tingling and numbness in the hand and in the fingers.
- Weakness in the associated limb.
- Unable to lift up the things
- Pain is noticeable in the affected part
- Swollen hand
- Stiffness of joints
- Restricted movement
- Contractions in hand
- Bruised feeling and soreness in fingers.
Tips To Prevent
- Relax your hand
- Keep hand warm
- Maintain your grip
- Avoid too much use of hands and give frequent breaks
- Keep checking on your blood work to avoid diseases.
- Maintain a normal BMI to avoid obesity
- Maintain blood glucose levels to avoid diabetes.
- Who is more prone to get Carpal tunnel syndrome
- People who are more prone to bend wrists may get affected sooner.
- What are the warning signs and symptoms that may be alarming
- Repeated tingling and numbness in hand and unable to lift up things in hand.
- Mention some home tips to get relief from carpal tunnel syndrome Wear a splint, Apply a warm application, Raise the wrist, Ice the wrist, and Give rest to the affected hand from movements.
- Best recommended exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- Rotate your wrist up and down and from side to side at least 3 to 4 times a day, Stretch your fingers at least 2 to 3 times a day,
- Guide the sleep position for carpal tunnel syndrome Sleep with the wrist in the neutral position and hands slightly elevated.
Foods to avoid- High-processed food, fried food, fast food, alcohol, white bread, pasta, and sweeteners.
Foods to eat- Fish such as salmon, sardine, tuna, walnuts, spinach, and bell pepper.
Diagnosis for carpal tunnel syndrome
- History of symptoms
- X-ray of wrist
- Nerve conduction study
- Rhustoxicodendron- One of the best medicine indicated for carpal tunnel syndrome. Mostly indicated in patients who often complain that initial motion aggravates the pain and continuous motion relieves the pain. Soreness and stiffness in the wrist are present. Discomfort gets better with the warm application.
- Ruta Graveolens- Overuse of joints and stiffness and irritation of nerves lead to this complaint. Weakness is present in the hand. The feeling of bruising lameness and stiffness is present.
- Arnica Montana- One of the most common medicines used for carpal tunnel syndrome. Repetition of movements of fingers may cause this complaint. New injuries may also flare up the symptoms. The external warm application helps to relieve the pain in the affected part.
- Calcarea Phosphorica- Pain associated with bones, nerves, arms, and the wrist. Burning and drawing pain are present in the upper arm. Contraction may be felt in the muscles of the hand. Cold may aggravate the complaint and warm may give relief.
- Hypericum- One of the best recommendations indicated by physicians especially when patients complain of sharp shooting pain in the wrist and arm. Mostly indicated in diabetic patients where nerve injury might take place, especially median nerve hampered.
Homeo Care Clinic
Dr. Vaseem Choudhary along with his teammates has treated many patients successfully with carpal tunnel syndrome so if you are seeking your cure please visit our center for further assistance.