Bird Flu is also known as Avian Flu or Avian Influenza. It’s a strain of the Influenza A virus strain. It primarily affects Birds both wild and domestic. Recently in India, it has spread to Poultry (Chicken, Duck) Crow, Sparrow & Parrots.
The bird flu virus has many strains out of which H5N8 has been seen in Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, and Maharashtra whereas the H5N1 virus strain has been seen in Himachal Pradesh. Here Dr. Vaseem Choudhary gives you brief information on Sings&Symptoms and Precautions of Bird Flu.
SIGN & SYMPTOMS –
- Cold & Cough
- Sore Throat
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
RISK FACTOR –
- Below 2 years above 60 years
- Pregnant women
- Comorbid – Diabetes, Hypertension.
- A deadly virus, as it has a high mortality rate i.e. 60%.
Although bird flu is contagious among birds but rarely infects humans. The virus has both strains –i.e. High Pathogenic and Low Pathogenic. High pathogenic results in the deaths of hundreds of millions of birds, including poultry leading to risk to human transfer.
HOW IT SPREADS?
The virus spreads through –
- Eating raw egg
- Partially cooked food
- Partially cooked egg
- No need to panic, it is a concerning issue to government and authority but if people follow government guidelines then no need to worry
- If you find a bird lying in a suspicious manner inform officials
- Avoid going to live bird market
- Boiled Chicken properly
- Boiled Egg completely
- Maintain hygiene
- Follow all other guidelines given for Covid-19.
If you any Queries regarding any symptoms and precautions of Bird Flu, Get in Touch with Dr. Vaseem Choudhary at Homeo Care Clinic, Hadapsar, Pune. Online Consultations are also available!!